Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Self-Portrait and its meaning


The story behind my self-portrait showcases the mystery of what’s behind the mask, behind what I may appear to myself and others, a hidden figure encased in what is merely an image just for show. Notice how the illustrated portrait is notably darker in color and in theme in contrast to me peering through the door. The olive green color is prominent through the image, as homage to the similar colors of the walls in my house. The dark colors, including the unusual black eyes and messy hair add a grim theme to the portrait, as it represents my serious and dull side as I go about my everyday business through school, work, and other places that are out of my element. The photo of me is set to contrast to the illustrated image. I can be seen wearing a much more colorful shirt with patterns including the Fleur-de-lis on the shoulder. In a strange way I point upward as an unusual way of symbolizing “upward,” which is meant to further emphasize a more uplifting theme with the photo. Lastly, a lighting effect was added through the crack of the door, this was done to signify the joyfulness that is stored within oneself.

Code switching was the idea behind the image, a term I picked up back in Cultural Anthropology. It is the practice of alternating between two or more languages or behaviors in conversation, depending on the change of environment of the individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment